We all know that stress can wear heavily on our minds and our bodies, causing us to feel run down and well, just kind of “older.” Numerous studies have proven that chronic stress results in accelerated aging of the cells in the body. I’m certain that you are acutely aware of the many mental or psychological stressors in your daily life, it’s a reality in our go-go, do-do, culture.
However, you may not have considered your daily exposure to a silent, physical stressor, namely, environmental toxins.
Environmental toxins are an underrated and frequently overlooked cause of numerous chronic diseases. Scientific studies draw a direct correlation between toxins in our bodies and neurological complaints, such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, and neuropathies, in addition to diseases such as diabetes, depression, heart disease, cancer, and even obesity.
Longer Lives Means Greater Exposure
In today’s world, toxins in our bodies are a fact of life. Unfortunately, it’s no longer a matter of IF toxins are stored in our bodies, it’s a matter of HOW MANY have accumulated. The daily, stealth attack toxins unleash on your body is inevitable. After all, toxins can be found in air, water, food, and consumer products such as furniture and bedding, carpeting and paint, personal care items, makeup and household cleaners.
By the time we reach 50s, our bodies hold a vast storehouse of detrimental chemicals and compounds.
In my consulting practice with women around the world, many worry about become ill or being diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes or cancer. An unfortunate consequence is that worry sends stress messages to our cells.. It’s critical (and empowering!) to shift the focus from worrisome thoughts to everyday positive action steps.
Detoxify to Reduce the Risk of Degenerative Diseases
There’s quite a bit of misunderstanding about exactly what “detoxification” is. Let’s start from its definition as a way to proactively reduce your cancer risk, in addition to helping you age well and feel vital.
How Detoxification Happens Naturally
Unwanted substances are removed from your body without you having to do anything. Detoxification is a process your body performs on a continual basis, right along with all of the other functions necessary to sustain life. Certain compounds, like heavy metals, plastics, and chemicals, which enter the body from the external environment (exotoxins), and even your own hormones (endotoxins), that don’t belong in the body are neutralized, primarily in the liver by a process referred to as biotransformation. Then the intestinal tract (gut), kidneys, lungs, lymphatic system, and the skin get rid of (eliminate and excrete) the unwanted compounds.
When Nature Isn’t Enough: Common Indications That You Need to Detoxify
If any of the primary organs involved in detoxification (liver, kidneys, gut, lungs, or skin) are overtaxed by the buildup of toxins, one or more of the following signs and symptoms are likely to be present:
- Impaired Digestion: bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion
- Fluid retention, swollen belly, puffy eyes and fingers
- Cravings and blood sugar issues
- Fatigue, mental and physical
- Bad breath, a thick coating on the tongue, or a metallic taste in the mouth
- Sinus congestion, allergies, frequent colds and flu
- Weight gain, especially around the midsection
- Hot flashes or night sweats
- Moodiness, depression, lack of motivation
- Brain Fog, forgetfulness, inability to focus
- Skin issues, eczema, itching, rashes, acne, rosacea
- Chronic muscle and/or joint pain
These symptoms could mean that your immune, detoxification and elimination systems have become overwhelmed. But don’t despair, there are effective ways to purify and cleanse your body and to give your natural detoxification a boost.
Everyday Detox: 4 Easy Ways to Purify Your Body
1. Break a Sweat. One of the most effective ways to eliminate toxins through the skin is to use an infrared sauna. Studies of the sweat produced following a session in an infrared sauna show measurable amounts of bisphenol A, or BPA, which is a known endocrine disruptor. If you don’t have access to an infrared sauna, other ways to sweat include a hot bath + hot beverage + ginger in the water, or brisk walk with extra layers of clothing on.
2. Brush Your Skin. Use a brush with a long handle and natural bristles. Stand in your shower to catch the dead skin cells. Brush toward your heart, beginning with your feet and then your hands. Use a circular motion on your groin, armpits and the front of your neck as these are areas where several lymph nodes are located. Be gentle over your breasts and other delicate areas. Finish with a hot shower.
3. Jump for Joy. While rebounding, the vertical motion and pull of gravity while jumping up and down improves blood circulation and stimulates lymphatic flow. Both help to move and eliminate toxins from the body. Using a rebounder, also referred to as a mini-trampoline, jump daily for 10 – 15 minutes, upbeat music recommended. A handrail is available, and can be a good idea if you are new to this activity or if you have any issues that make balance challenging. For most people, balance will improve rapidly with repeated sessions and practice.
4. Elevate Your Feet. Along with jumping, inversion therapy is another way to encourage lymphatic flow. Inversion also has additional benefits such as decompression of the spine and increasing blood circulation to the muscles which can be helpful in alleviating back pain. You’ll need to use an inversion table to obtain those benefits. However, without an inversion table, you can scoot your buttocks up to the wall and place your legs up in the air as a method of increasing lymphatic and blood flow. At the end of a yoga session, I often perform my Savasana in this fashion.
Consider helping your natural detoxification with these everyday detox methods to improve your overall health and to reduce your risk of developing degenerative disease.
Would you like to try a gentle, safe, and effective detox? Contact me for a COMPLIMENTARY consult to discuss your personal health goals. We can determine if my Purification Program might be a good fit for you.